Monday, October 24, 2011

I am going to be honest....


Well, today was Evan's 9 month well visit! Thankfully, Evan is perfectly healthy, but unfortunately, all the news was not good news. It is so hard for me to write this because I am so use to passing on good news and spreading joy. Instead, I am hear to pass on not so good news, but don't worry, it is a very fixable problem!! First off, Evan has a terribly low level of iron. I am not surprised at all. It is very common for breastfed babies to have low iron and I have love iron, so the two coupled together does not bode well. The doctor prescribed Evan some iron drops and a multivitamin that has additional iron. Both should fix the problem! Though, it is still hard to hear he has low iron because I always prided myself that he was breastfed (not that I look down on formula babies). I was just glad that Evan could have the milk that God and I were providing for him. Now, I just feel like my milk failed him. I wasn't enough for him. I couldn't give him everything he needed. The low iron could be the source of our other problem. Low iron could lead to slow brain development.

That brings me to our second, and more significant, bad news. Evan has extreme speech delay. I was always sad that Evan wouldn't say ma-ma, da-da, or ba-ba, like other babies, but I always figured it would come in time. Well, that time has come and gone, and our doctor is now concerned. We don't know yet if it is just a developmental delay, a brain issue, a hearing issue, or maybe all of the above. We will be going to speech therapy soon and hopefully have some more answers after that. Prayers would be more than welcome at this point, but again we are just so thankful it isn't a health issue. We have a 100% healthy, happy baby and are very thankful about that!!

Stats: Weight: 19.5 lbs, Height: 27 inches. He is such a short baby. In the 13th percentile, but I have hope that he will not grow up too short. Mark was almost 28 inches at 9 months and he is a not short, so there is hope!!
When he stands he can make more of a mess.....


Eating hot dog for the first time. Yummy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment