Tuesday, May 17, 2011

There is no such thing as a vacation....

Now don't get me wrong. Mark, Evan, and I are having a great time, but I wouldn't exactly call it a vacation. I sat in the living room staring at the calm, clear ocean while I was feeding Evan (yes a great way to feed him), but the whole time I was thinking, I sure wish I was relaxing on the beach and reading a book. Today, Mark told me, "We won't ever get to vacation again, huh?" I was puzzled at first, but he continued, "Well I never realized Evan was so much work." Halleluiah. I guess since I stay at home with him all day I knew what to expect. Mark did not. He said he thought we would get to do what we wanted to do, but just carry a baby around. If only it was that easy. Now, no worries to anyone who wants to travel, I think this vacation has been great and would recommend it to anyone who asked. It isn't the vacation we would have taken two years ago, but we are having a lot of fun and loving our family!

We left Longview at 6am Monday morning. Evan was ready to go and in good spirits. Thank goodness. We got in the car and started our 10 hour journey, which turned out to be 12! All was going well until we hit Alexandria. Louisiana does this weird thing where gas stations are not on the interstate. We were searching for a good place to feed Evan, get some snacks, and fill up on gas. We drove through Alexandria thinking we would see a place right off the highway. Well, ten miles past Alexandria we still didn't see a place to get gas. At this point, we are running on fumes and terrified we are going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. I get out my Iphone and am frantically searching for a gas station. It says the next one isn't for 30 miles. There is NO WAY we can make it that far. Insert here the multiple prayers we said that our trip would not start out this way. Then I decide to try a different search and put in fuel. YES. There is a place about 2 miles up the road. We are pretty confident we can make it that far. Finally, we see the exit and are now praying that the gas station is still in working order. It is! We stop and all is well once again! After that scare, we kept out gas tank above 1/4 a tank the entire time. Lesson learned!


Let me just tell you. I am not a fan of the state of Louisiana. It has nothing to do with Louisiana, except the fact that the state last FOREVER!! I felt like we traveled about 9 hours just in that state. Once we got out of Louisana the trip flew by, but stupid Louisana made me want to poke my eyes out....

The rest of the trip could not have been better. Evan was the best traveling baby we could have asked for. Sure he cried when he was hungry or sleepy, but it wasn't anything we couldn't quickly fix while we were in the car. There were no melt downs!! I just hope that the return home treats us just as well!

Day 1 is Destin!
Of course, Evan wakes up at 4am. Grr! Doesn't he know we are on vacation. Luckily, I fed him, rocked him, and put him back in the pack n play and he slept until 7. We all got up and ready for breakfast on the beach! We walk to a patio restaurant on the beach. It was delicious! Unfortunately, it was really cold in the morning. I think it was 61 degrees. I bundled Evan up in the wrap and he fell asleep. After breakfast, Mark and I went walking on the beach. It was too chilly to take Evan out of the wrap so he just got to look around. He seems to really like the beach. He giggles every time he looks at the ocean. We got back to the room around noon. Just in time to feed Evan. Not really sure how this happened, but Evan and I fell asleep and didn't wake up until 2. Once we got up from our nap we headed to the outlet mall. Mark was thrilled....not! I wanted to get some more clothes for Evan because that little stinker is already growing out of his 6-9 months clothing. We got some good deals! We finished the night with dinner at Fudpuckers. Not the best food, but an awesome atmosphere. We gave Evan a bottle as soon as we got there hoping he would sleep for our dinner and he did. Well, for most of it. He woke up once we finished our food and was not very happy to not be at home in his pajamas, so we left at 8 and headed back to put him to sleep. Well, of course we get home and he just wants to play. So he plays until 9 and finally tires out!

Tomorrow, we are having a beach day. I am excited to take Evan "swimming" in the ocean. He is also going to get in the pool! A big day for him!

Thursday, we are going golfing! By we, I of course mean Mark is going to golf while Evan and I cheer him on.

And Friday, sadly, we are heading home!

Just have to throw in: I am sitting here typing, enjoying a glass a wine, and listening to the waves crash on the shore. What a lovely end to the evening!

Evan in the car before we leave Longview!

Louisiana!
2 hours in and still happy!
4 hours in, still in Louisiana, but sleeping!
Finally, in Mississippi!!
Nap time between Mississippi and Alabama!
Somebody, loves Alabama!! Happy in Alabama!Finally, in Florida! Daddy and Evan! Destin we made it!





Mommy and Evan going to Breakfast!

Evan monkeyin' around!

Daddy and Evan playing!

"Look, I'm a hot dog!!"

Mommy and me and Fudpuckers!

Loving Fudpuckers! I saw aligators!

Daddy and me at Fudpuckers!

Moon and the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment